Last year, almost all industries, business, faced the wrath of pandemic Covid19, few survived, few forced to shut down. Companies operating from home faced many challenges like- connectivity, data loss, communication, lack of required IT equipment, etc. According to a survey by Acronis, 57% of Indian companies faced unexpected downtime due to data loss in 2020.
Although, due to the Covid19 outbreak, companies invested in new tech solutions to allow working from home employees to continue their work with security and without any interruptions. Still, companies faced extensive downtime.
As per the Acronis survey – 70% of Indian companies execute about 10 solutions for the protection of their data and cybersecurity needs, the rest, 30%, run over 10 data protection and security solutions. Still, 57% of all companies struggled with downtime due to data loss.
The survey highlights the need to correct the disconnect between the need for a company over data protection and ineffective investments they have made to achieve their goals.
Companies need to figure out the worthless investment they have made over their data protection and fix it with an effective solution that they can rely on even in bad situations.
The survey was conducted with over 4,400 IT professionals in 22 countries, including India.
Rustom Hiramaneck, General Manager-South Asia at Acronis, said, “These findings confirm our belief that the smarter approach is cyber protection, which unifies data protection, cybersecurity, and endpoint management in one”
This is shocking; nearly 20% of India’s IT professionals don’t know if their firm is subject to data privacy guidance.
“If those responsible for ensuring data privacy don’t know they are culpable, they cannot implement strategies or evaluate the solutions needed to address the requirements. That ignorance puts the business at tremendous risk of major fines for potential compliance violations in 2021,” the survey stated.
The survey revealed that there is a notable gap in cybersecurity awareness among Indian IT professionals of what IT and cybersecurity capabilities are available to them, which can cause them to lose valuable time, money and security:
35% of IT users and 11% of IT professionals in India would not be aware if their data had been modified without their knowledge because their solution makes determining that tampering difficult.
Survey also revealed that approx 98%of IT users spent more time on their systems last year, and 85% of them took extra measures to protect those systems.
And about 35% of IT users accept not updating their systems until at least a week after being reported of a patch, or even longer.
Acronis experts suggested maintaining multiple copies of backups, with one local copy for fast recovery and one offsite in the cloud to ensure recovery if a disaster destroys backup copies.
Also Read: India Server Market Revenue Fell YoY by 11.2% in Q4 2020